.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 24, 2005

 

Copywriting not a vehicle toward wealth?

I did at some point see articles about copywriting
in writers magazines by one Robert Bly. For some
reason, I seem to recall reading them even back in
the 1970s, even though I know now he started his
copywriting career in 1982. Maybe it's just that
he's such a successful self-promoter that I feel
as though I've always known his name, even though
I didn't.

Somewhere along the line I got the idea that
copywriters made decent money but nothing
spectacular. I was already doing in my day job at
Social Security.

I didn't want writing to be just another job.

I mean, I had a secure job making what in St Louis
is a decent middle middle-class income. Not real
great but decent.

I wanted to make a LOT of money and write novels.

I was willing to do a lot of things to make a LOT of
money -- I went through a lot of stuff and have
wound up in Internet marketing.

When I had a lot of money, I could devote myself to
my true love of writing fiction.

Except for bestsellers for such few authors at Stephen
King etc, I did not know anybody making a LOT of money
from writing.

I did not think it could be done.

So while full-time copywriting might equal or
slightly exceed what I make at my day job, it
wouldn't exceed it enough to justify the extra
risk of cash flow problems.

I still would not be rich, so what would the point be?

I didn't think that through consciously. It was the
logic that proceeded from my erroneous assumption
that copywriters could not make big time money.

And big time money is what I want to make!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?