.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

 

Only bestsellers outearn good copywriters

So anyway, I've always had little interest in the types
of advertising generated by ad agencies, and so little
knowledge of working conditions there.

It is reasonable to assume though that beginners
are poorly paid and only proven big names make the
real money.

I once knew a guy who worked at an ad agency here
in the St Louis area at an agency in downtown Clayton, but it
was long ago, before I even considered ad writing of
any kind.

I was told by a mutual friend that he was considered
an up and coming star in the field.

But he quit to become a minister. Last I saw him, he had
a big cross around his neck, so presumably he still does.

Anyway, I think the main point is clear.

Except for a very few top writers in
other areas, the best field of writing
to make money in, especially with an
independent lifestyle, is as a direct
marketing copywriter.

Comments:
Hi Rick,

I read something (by Dan Kennedy I think, but I don't remember in which of his books) where he said that a good direct copy writer earns more per word than any other writer on the planet. And if you consider that some top copywriters can write a killer sales letter in a few days (like Kennedy), then we'd also have to say that their wage per hour is the highest of any writer on the planet. This is good enough reason for me to pursue a career as a copywriter!

The question does arise as to whether freelancers earn more than staff copywriters. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

Regards,
Bruce Carlson
http://www.dynamic-copywriting.com
http://dynamic-copywriting.typepad.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?