.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

More on Negative Advertising

But let's try to think a little bit deeper.

"Negative advertising" is a very broad, undefined
term.

Personally, I like comparative advertising that
lists features of two or more products and
demonstrates that one product is the
best that way.

That is negative in the sense that you're
mentioning and putting down the other
product, but if your list is fair and
accurate and shows your product is the
best, that can be very effective.

However, there's advertising that knocks
competitors with no logic, and that turns
me off.

For example, the sub chain Quizno's used to
run radio commercials comparing their
toasted subs to ordinary subs. They said
it was like putting a group of accountants
up against a bunch of Vikings -- then you
heard the Vikings cutting up the accountants.

Another one had some small animals, maybe
kittens, eaten by a tiger or some other
large animal.

They made the point that they thought their
subs were so much better -- but gave no
logical reason for that. Just a presentation
to arouse our emotions using mock violence.

My reaction is that I associate the Quizno's
sub chain with needless pain and suffering
and killing . . . and choose not to buy
from them.

Of course, that's just my reaction. I may
not be the typical listener. And since I
don't eat sub sandwiches, I'm not in their
target market so they don't have to care
how much they offended me.

copywriting discussion forums

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?